Search This Blog

Sunday 26 June 2011

2nd colony!

When we did the big move in May, I left the old box with the old frames in the apiary. The thinking was that if Genesis did swarm, they may well go into this "bait hive". Well, Genesis has not swarmed but a swarm from elsewhere has taken up residence!!!! There were some spare super frames in a box above the main box and they have drawn comb on these and are storing plenty of nectar and pollen. There are a decent number of bees but no eggs or brood yet. They seem of good temperament too. I condensed the frames down to one box and put it all back together. I put the remaining frames in a box in front of the hive for them to rob out any honey and pollen in there. I will check them again next week. If there is a queen there, which I guess there is, and she mates then we may start to see eggs soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment