Search This Blog

Friday 29 April 2011

Super time!

The bees are now well established in their new brood box with plenty of new bees being produced. Since the queen has more room now they should build up numbers nicely. I still have the old box in place with a queen excluder between to stop her laying in the old box. I will give them another week with the old box in place - there should be no brood left now but they may move their honey stores up from there. I put a honey super ontop 2 weeks ago. Initially I put it on with a queen excluder below it but after a week they were still not interested so I did as Ted Hooper suggests and took out the queen excluder to get them interested. It seems he was right (no surprise there then) and within a few days they were drawing comb. Put the QE back.
Did an inspection today and there is half a frame of honey in the super!!! Plenty of eggs, unsealed and sealed brood in main box.

No comments:

Post a Comment